[F3A-Discussion] F3A Rules proposals

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Tue Apr 14 13:05:12 AKDT 2015

I’m a little concerned that they’ve replace one safety problem with another.

In South Africa, the lack of a Noise test circle on both sides of the pilot station, combined with starting the 8min clock immediately following the noise check, cause MANY competitors to SPRINT while holding a running airplane, approx 40yrds to the far side of the pilot so they could take off into the wind.  One of the Japanese callers almost bit the dust in this mad dash to make time (the unknowns were extremely long to fly so every second counted.)

They’ve eliminated the flight clock concern…they’ll get their full 8 minutes not, but instead, we’ll be running with the plane to get it to the take off circle from the ready box once the motor is running.  And before anyone says it’s a big issue with electrics, MANY are still flying glow (including one from our team) but also there has been problems with ESC’s not initializing on the first try.   Gerhart Mayr lost a round of the finals because it took 2.03 min to initialize his ESC.

Seems like there should be NO clock running moving the plane from the starting box to the take off circle to avoid this.

MARK ATWOOD
President
o.  (440) 229-2502
c.  (216) 316-2489
e.  atwoodm at paragon-inc.com<mailto:larry.yoder at paragon-inc.com>

Paragon Consulting, Inc.
5900 Landerbrook Drive, Suite 205, Cleveland Ohio, 44124
www.paragon-inc.com<http://www.paragon-inc.com/>

<http://www.paragon-inc.com/>
Powering The Digital Experience