Quiet pattern planes

Michael H Lance michael.lance2 at attbi.com
Sat Apr 19 11:42:48 AKDT 2003

Yep, I agree with you Matt.  I bet most of us are asked quite often how
we can tell what is happening when we can't hear the engine.  No
response I have come up with seems to get through to sport flyers.  I
have invited these pilots to come to local Pattern meets (a few have)
and hope they realize that when the air isn't full of sport planes there
is no real problem in hearing our engines.

Matt, you are certainly on the the correct tack in speaking to what is
available over the counter.  Few sport flyers will invest a couple
hundred bucks in being quiet because they have NO incentive to do so.
Public fields are powerless to impose a limit BUT private clubs
certainly could start to set the bar with enforced limits.

Mike Lance
NSRCA 659
AMA 4498