Excellence, Masters-F3A

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Fri Nov 21 19:39:33 AKST 2003

Oh no I got him fired up now...Remember when I said there will always be a
better pilot out there somewhere....Well now Jason is taking it serious!

Sorry Dave it was not my intent to get him anxious!

LOL

Actually Jas I'm glad to hear it! The better you fly the better I'm going to
fly to keep up and try to take ya!

Its that search for the PERFECT flight!

I may have mis-represented my thinking about Masters=FAI.....My thought is
that many Masters pilots have the talent to fly FAI and they should. The top
Dogs not showing up to a local contest is because as Jas says...they have
other commitments. I know Jason is always screwing around out doing demos of
the electric stuff not just the pattern plane...And Chip is doing the
Weekend demo circuit as well. This is promoting other forms of the hobby and
is great. Sean I think is just busy with work and his new family in the past
couple years....There is a time and place for everything and to expect a US
team member to attend and event is asking a bunch on their time. I wish they
would come out and wax my behind a little....Because then I got a shot at
them too! But I know that other things in life play a role. Its not a slam
when I say they don't come out its just a fact of the beast. A guy should
not use an excuse to not fly FAI because he can't compete with the
"boys".....I would have never felt I could compete with the people I have
until this year....I still have a long way to go for that last 4-5
guys...but its amazing what a little work and diligence can do.

Hey it takes a lot of time and energy to travel that 8hrs to a contest. I've
been doing it and understand.

I think more and more Masters guys should try it out and fly FAI....Its not
that bad believe me....I think that AMA masters has a place in the skill
levels and climbing the charts...But I think we have dedicated the Masters
class as the destination for so many...that this is where many current
Advanced and Intermediate guys aspire.....The local hero flies Masters and
this is the Pinnacle. As Jason mentioned when he was coming up FAI was flown
by the best even at the local level....Granted  this local pattern hero and
we all had them, would never had made a USA Team or even the finals at the
NATS.....But he was there showing his butt and flying extremely well. I
think there are so many contests that don't get this kind of showing or any
FAI at all that the less experienced pilots don't see the FAI as the
pinnacle they see Masters instead...and the Aspiration is to Masters and
masters alone. I don't think a forced move up is required I'm challenging
some of the Masters pilots that have been in the NATS finals for 2-3 or even
10yrs in row....come on guys...Give it a shot

I just think the top 20-30% of the Masters guys could and should be a threat
in FAI...They don't seem to take the leap. I wish they would!

TN