Too quiet, one man's opinion (long)

Adam Quennoz aquennoz at ipa.net
Mon Oct 13 18:43:05 AKDT 2003

I agree with Brian in his first sentence.  Most people these days just like to peg the sticks and watch the plane gyrate through the sky.  Challenge them to fly a straight line from one horizon to the other and they'll get bored before it reaches center field.  Most don't see the challenge or the need to challenge themselves.  To each is own.  At least the guy is enjoying himself in his little niche of the hobby.  But one thing I have noticed is that freestyle/3D style flying can greatly help your sequence flying.  Why?  While performing low, close in 3D manuevers, your inputs must be right on and in the right direction.  After a while those inputs and corrections become so natural you don't think about anything but the next manuever you want to try.  This ability will transition right into sequence flying.  Just think about flying a vertical line.  When the wind blows you off line you don't think about which rudder to input because it happens without thinking.  Same with rolls, and point rolls.  I used to make up little rules while flying to make sure I know which way to move the rudder stick.  I rarely think of those little rules because they happen on their own.  It also takes less time to dust the cobwebs off when spring rolls around.  Of course nothing takes the place of practice.

Regards,
Adam Q