A "Glow" Hint

jim ivey jivey61 at msn.com
Mon Oct 20 18:24:56 AKDT 2003

Bob
Good idea. I had a problem with removing the glow driver connector. I was
using the RS orange box also. I could not get it to release after starting
the engine (YS 140 L) and in doing the twisting etc, the connector shorted
and started meltdown inside the connector.The wires were also melted.The
timer finally terminated the currant, but I had a mess. I had to break the
connector off the plug and then remove what was left of the plug.Luckily
nothing caught fire.
The only problem I might see with your idea would be if the bananna jacks
added resistance to the currant sense circuit and caused it to change the
calibration of the orange box.

A comment from Tony please.

Jim Ivey

jivey61 at msn.com

>From: "Bob Pastorello" <rcaerobob at cox.net>
>To: "NSRCA" <discussion at nsrca.org>
>Subject: A "Glow" Hint
>Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:25:34 -0500
>
>Thought I'd share something borne of frustration at the field.  The twist
>lock glo connector that didn't.  Of course, I had no spare CONNECTOR, and
>the Radio South Pro Driver worked flawlessly, as it holds it's charge a
>LONG time...but... a bad connector renders the best glow driver useless.
>     So - friend Ray Morton sent me a pic of his RS driver that he had
>modified with banana jacks on the case, and put banana plugs on the glow
>connector.  My experience with banana plug setups is they loosen, and slide
>OUT when you need them IN.  So I needed a different solution.
>     Off to Radio Shack - found some very inexpensive "barrel" wire
>connectors.  Male/Female in a package for $2 that did a battery end, the RS
>Driver, and THREE glow connectors.  They aren't designed for a high number
>of disconnects, as they would wear pretty fast.  But - I won't be
>unplugging unless disaster strikes - then I won't care.
>     Works just fine...and I now have inexpensive redundancy that lets me
>use the RS Driver primarily.  THAT has it's advantages.
>
>Just thought I'd share the tip.
>
>Bob Pastorello, Oklahoma
>NSRCA 199, AMA 46373
>rcaerobob at cox.net
>www.rcaerobats.net

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa

# discussion-request at nsrca.org
#