Es pipe

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Fri Aug 13 16:50:08 AKDT 2004

You are quite welcome sir, anytime. Now let's go flying =)

While we're on the subject, I thought I'd share some advice about this pipe
for some others out there, hopefully saving someone some money. The ES pipe
is currently about the best pipe for our purposes out there, if you don't
mind the price tag. I don't, they run great and don't weigh much at all.
Plus they don't have that ring metal pipes have. I put it up there with the
few things I absolutely consider worth the extra bucks: ES pipes, PBG C/F
wing tubes, and Hyde mounts. The rest is a choice, for me those aren't. But
they are fragile, and that's where some extra precautions may need to be
taken, depending on your application.

Most notably, if you have a solid angled stinger, I always cut mine off
flush with the bottom of the fuse and then rejoin the cut off piece with a
piece of tubing, I use a hatori flexible stinger, the black one (139 I
think?) If you ever get careless and bang that solid stinger against
ANYTHING, it will most likely break....and sometimes seperate the cone at
the rear of the pipe. That's ungood to repair. The stinger is easy to repair
(mine was crushed in a crash a couple years ago) but that cone is a pain. I
can't count how many times I've nailed that stinger, and it just flexes
around and boings back.

Also the pipe is carbon, but extremely thin and intolerant to anything solid
vibrating against it. Always use something to insulate it from the mount,
this dampens noise and vibration anyway (to a small degree, but every bit
helps). I have never seen one eat through until I saw Jim's. So apparently
it can happen.

And I always attach this pipe in 2 places, and make sure it can't slide
backwards. That's one pipe I'd hate to drop into the woods, ya know?

And thanks Jim for the monokote backing tip. It's funny, I've been using
tear strips and whatnot for composite repairs for years on commercial jets,
and yet it never dawned on me that monokote backing was basically the same
thing. Duh me. Sometimes I question my own sanity. Ok ok, usually =)

-Mike