Soft Mounting Benefits (was: Tonight's Dumb Idea...)

EHaury at aol.com EHaury at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 07:26:06 AKST 2004

An extreme example of engine vibes. At the lab we had test stands fitted with
large truck engines (Mack, Cummins, Cat) that ran industry standard lube
tests. These things are 6 cyl, around 350 Hp and 1000 LB/ft torque and ran flat
out. Someone solid mounted them to ensure driveline alignment. Nothing could
keep them from breaking the mount adapters, which went from 3/8" to 1/2" to 3/4"
steel. Eventually stock (soft) engine mounts were fitted and never broke
again. We then spent a lot of time fixing broken (6" dia) exhaust pipes. Sound
familiar?

Earl