Screeching sound on a YS140

Gabriel Gonzalez gabrielg74 at jz.cablemas.com
Mon Jan 19 14:55:47 AKST 2004

Hi All,

I was flying my quest yesterday, and when I landed I heard a loud irregular screeching sound.
This is my 1st YS engine and have been flying it for a couple of months now.
At first I thought the cowl came loose and was touching the spinner backplate, but when I taxied and stopped the engine at my feet to check it nothing was touching the engine, not even close. It was a high picthed noise.
I shut it down, and thinking it could be a bearing I tried turning the propeller by hand and everything felt smooth.
Anybody with experience with these engines can share their ideas as to what could this be?
I'd like to know what to look for before I start disassembling it.

Thanks,

Gabriel