Diamond stab cross section : now electric/gas/ Karl Mueller

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Mon Nov 22 04:08:51 AKST 2004

Hi Del,

I read your posts all the time.  For me, "the glass is 1/2 full." :).  I
think Electrics will definitely bring more people towards pattern through
out the AMA classes.  Eventually more FAI folks will go that way too.
However, I also think the smaller gas engines will make an entry.
www.escomposites.com is offering the Abbra in either electric or gas
layups.  I can imagine how gas and electric appeal to many people, who are
DEFINITELY turned off by the glow setups (2 or 4 cycle).  Its never been
cheaper to get into pattern with a competitive setup, or for any size of
plane/engine combination.

I have a ZDZ 40RE I'm going to play with (don't laugh).  It will swing
large props, and will hopefully offer the reliability that ignition setups
are supposed to be famous for.  Anyway, I'm looking towards "enjoying"
trying the setup.  I have a plane with a lot of wing area that at this
point, an extra pound in the conversion won't hurt anything.  It now
incorporates a new ignition setup that is supposed to have made for a very
smooth engine in the low end.

Karl M.:  FYI.  The ZDZ 40RE exhaust opening is a mm or 2 larger than the
Webra 1.45/1.60.   I would not hesitate to run a Webra header on this
engine.  Bolt spacing is identical, however, one size larger than for the
Webra (10/32) I believe.

Jim W.

"Del Rykert" <drykert at localnet.com>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org