Advise how to reduce rudder to roll coupling

PPandelaers ppandelaers at pandora.be
Sun Aug 7 03:16:44 AKDT 2005

Jerry,

Very interesting, never saw it this way, See if I get it right.

Do you mean really the cross section of the lower wing that's catching air
stream. I can see that indeed for the bottom wing in knife edge, not for the
top-wing though.

Is this in your opinion the reason why we apply dihedral?

If so, it would mean that the wing tips need to be at the same level as the
vertical CG to avoid roll coupling by this effect. It seems to me that this
would require significant dihedral on many planes of the low-wing type, more
than I usually see. Or, the CG is much closer to the wing than I always
thought.

Just confirm if this is what you meant.

Regards

Patrick