Just some observations(rules changes)

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 15:04:24 AKST 2005

Dave
Assuming your last post is accurate it seems to me that this is the way
things are happening.

First of all trying to keep up with the top dogs is an impossible task
because we are not playing on a level playing field. Most top pilots are  sponsored
by one manufacturer or another and in major competitions are flying
prototype equipment that is not available at any cost to the average competitor.
Manufacturers furnish this to them because they know that sales will flourish,
and they can demand higher prices for their goods.
 In many cases we have become victims of this trend and by our  actions or
inaction's have fostered and promoted their agenda which  may result in the
undermining of efforts to grow  pattern, discouraging those who will not are
cannot invest in a  venture of such great magnitude and be competitive.
I think that Internal promotion of these efforts is primarily due  to the
misconception that it is necessary to fly the latest FAI design to  be
competitive in AMA pattern and is furthered by the actions and  perceptions of those who
have adopted this mentality and have applied it to  every facit of their
participation starting at the building table and  ending up in the judges chair.
In the Sixties when I flew pattern it was a sport that was enjoyed by all
who participated, the Big Boys and Pro's were there and they were  in the
minority as they are today but the heart and soul of pattern was  located on the
ground floor. Today it seems to be located at the top and those  who are located
there as well as those who are nearing that level are  scratching their heads
trying to figure out what is happening and seem to have  no clew of what will
be required to fix it. Then there is the group who  don't think it needs
fixing at all. Please don't take this as criticism it, is  merely my cause and
effect understanding of how we got where we are and how  things work.
Many dedicated individuals are behind the scenes working hard to  try to turn
the tide of ever decreasing pattern membership by developing methods
acceptable to the membership that will result in future growth. All options  are on
the table, any ideas?
Buddy