Weight limit discussion

Chuck Hochhalter cshochhalter at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 25 18:24:09 AKST 2005

Funny Gene, I have the same dilemma, a 11.5 lb Aries and will have to spend
a few bucks to fly Nats if that is where this season takes me.

Someone earlier said that a plane doesn’t make the pilot.  I agree to a
point but
 here is the GREAT DISTRICT 6!!!  (couldn’t help myself) we have a
ton of intermediate flyers who are great pilots and I personally believe
that they are so closely matched that equipment does play a part in how
competitive you can be.

I look forward to the challenge of flying against Mark, Martin, Jim, Errol,
Richard and others I know I have missed, what a great year it will be, and I
know that I can have confidence in my skills but also in my plane.

This is my first 2 meter plane, IMO to allow the lower classes a higher
weight range will allow those who are learning to build light, as it is an
art, and want to continue to progress up the classes, they will be able to
get to the 5kg limit using baby steps and not having to jump from whatever
they flew in sportsman to a 2 meter 11 lbs aircraft just to compete at NATS
for the FIRST time.

By the time I fly advanced, I am sure I will have started another plane, and
began investing more into my hobby and into pattern.

Once I have progressed to this point in pattern the likely hood to step away
from pattern is less and therefore worth the investment.

I hope this makes some sense, just a view from an up and coming pattern
pilot.

Chuck Hochhalter

District 6 Sportsman Champion 2004