Reverse av/RCU poll

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Mon Jan 10 07:42:40 AKST 2005

David,
             Here is some of what I posted in response to your note.

"There was one thought put forward that the wing-tubes that were being used were not strong enough. That raises the question, "Where would you get a stronger ali-tube?" I could not find any.  I had fitted CF wing tubes and the damage moved out to the tip of the tube. Joe Lachowski's planes BTW are at or just over 10 lb. He has very strong wings, (Guerin built and proven), so the tube decided to bend instead.

What is not at the forefront is that the reverse avalanche is "rarely" flown, relatively speaking. I saw it in FAI F-05 for the first time this year. How many FAI pilots actually fly the finals schedule with any degree of regularity? I do now know that some wing fatigue has been experienced already in this class by guys who are so good that i have to believe that they are flying it correctly,.

Now we have put it in a Masters schedule and with little or no experience we will be pulling a snap at the bottom of an already G-inducing maneuver.

I am not surprised that there is mixed reaction to it because for some it is still just on paper. For others it has not been a problem and may never be.

Many believe that it is just not being flown properly. The flaw in this thinking is that it does not cater for the folks who do fly it "improperly".  No other maneuver that I know of will punish the plane or the pilot with in-flight damage if they are just a little off in their execution.

What did surprise me was that the AMA contest board did not fully process the emergency "fix" proposal.  It was not accepted for due process. This was decided between the AMA competition department and the AMA Contest board chairman. Therefore it was never published, or sent to the AMA contest board for consideration and a recorded vote. They have a pre-proposal process that I can't find written down anywhere. It does allow the Chairman/AMA to reject a proposal before it reaches the AMA contest board.

That's probably a bigger issue than the snap itself?

Regards,

Eric."