2.4 Ghz radio

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Thu Nov 17 07:42:32 AKST 2005

Right now the system is designed to be small and lightweight. The RX's are
6channel, and the servos are little park flyer 7.5g sized servos. This
system is sold as a complete package where weight is critical. This is why
it is geared toward parkflyers and foamies. The RX weighs only about
7-8grams. This technology is perfect for the park flyer market. The park
flyer market has special needs where weight is critical. Sport models have
different needs from the parkies and then the big airplanes pattern models
included have different needs from Sport models. Horizon is producing the
DX6 systems to meet the needs of the parkie market right now. This is why it
is introduced here first.

Now as far as range goes. I have flown it a bunch in many models and have
not had any range issues. In fact the range has been as far as I can see to
fly the thing. There are not any restriction I know of the range of the
system like 1500ft. In fact I have had a model well further away that
number. It is however true that the size of the models the system is
intended for will limit their range as you can't see the smaller park flyers
as far away as a 40% model. I don't think range is the issue with this
system. I think it comes down more to the size of the stuff in it. The micro
servos, the tiny 6channel RX. We all know that this park flyer system is not
the end of the technology its merely the beginning.

Also for Note this is not a JR radio. This is a Horizon Hobby Radio product.
JR has been involved with it and its JR quality stuff. In the future we can
look to what Spektrum has done already with the car markets. Right now
Spektrum produces a module that plugs directly into a current radio and
drives the Spektrum RX's. For cars Spektrum makes these modules for
Airtronics, JR, Hitec and yes Futaba TX's.
I would suspect this is the direction that Horizon may take with this
product. I have no inside info on this part of it but this is what they have
already done in the RC car market.

Yes I have been flying this radio (DX6) for many months and it works very
very well. This system is truly revolutionary. I think it is a huge step for
Horizon to offer this type of product to the average modeler first. The
radio is $199. In the past the latest technology, PCM, 1024PCM, now G3 PCM
from another manufacturer, and computer radios in general when they were
new....only were offered at the top tier of the radio market. Now anybody
can get their hands on a system that offers the secure TX to RX link that
Spektrum offers, and really solves many of the park flyer problems at local
fields.

Take Andrew Jesky loosing his 40% QQ Yak at the AMA site this past spring. A
guy with a foamy fired up in the parking lot and a $8000-$10,000 model was
gone on like its 3rd flight.

The point being is that no matter how much money you have in a model, no
matter how good of TX you have 10x 14mz, 56klx or what ever...a 4 channel AM
system on your frequency will shoot you down! With the Spektrum system this
shoot down problem is gone. It can't happen. Because of the way the system
works.

By the way priced at $199 the DX6 system is very competitive with any of the
6channel radio systems out there. By the way this is what most modelers at
the local fields are flying 6 channel computer radios.

It will come just be patient. You can bet they are working on it for the
average models.

Troy Newman
Team JR