[NSRCA-discussion] Point System - Was " Stirring up the Masters 2009Sequence discussionagain..."

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Tue Aug 14 04:59:45 AKDT 2007

Why do we have one? (point system)

Not to play devils advocate but do we really have that many people trying to
³cheat² to take home an extra plaque?  Yeah, some people hang around a class
a little longer than others, but I don¹t ever recall someone staying beyond
the point where peer pressure failed, and we had to rely on an un-enforced
point system to get the job done.

I mean lets face it...if there¹s a guy just tearing up the advanced
circuit...winning everything in his path, A) he¹s going to get pretty bored
with that at some point B) he¹s going to get heckled to DEATH at some point
from the Master¹s guys calling him chicken since he¹s clearly afraid to
compete against kids his own size :)  and C) and this is a big ³C²...  Who
cares??  If I¹m flying Advanced against him and continually having my A$$
handed to me...then apparently there¹s room for my flying to improve.  I can
choose to improve it staying in Advanced until either the aforementioned
sandbagger moves up and I can claim victory with my inferior flying against
now inferior competition, OR I can choose to bypass all together and move to
Masters and get a new challenge having never won the pinnacle of the
previous class, but feeling confident in my own abilities.

MORE importantly...if I fly for fun?  Which I really think about 50% of the
flyers in pattern do, then I can hang at whatever level challenges me,
provides me with the best ³reward² level for my time and investment, and
maximize my ³fun².

I think the ³point² system should be little more than a guideline for the
avid competitor who¹s goal is to move through the classes, gain proficiency,
and who¹s target is winning in FAI.  It¹s a guideline to know when it¹s
maybe time to move up, to prevent moving too early, and yet stay on a good
course for becoming the best.

For the rest, I think it¹s a non issue.

I¹m an avid golfer...I suck, but I¹m avid.  My handicap says I should be
playing from the blue tees on most courses...  But on a given day, I¹d much
rather go out and shoot an 82 from the whites, than post an 86 from the
Blues.  Just my preference...it¹s more fun.

My .02

-Mark