[NSRCA-discussion] Was "contest" Small Contest Idea

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Thu Jul 5 11:52:41 AKDT 2007

Reading this thread reminded me of a contest that Arch Stafford had a few
years back where we had a total of 9 or 10 people show up 3 of which were
local sportsman pilots.  We had a full spread too, with 1 or 2 in each
class.   It didn¹t make much sense to hold a traditional contest but we were
all there to have some pattern ³fun². Soooooo...  We made it a 2 class
contest.  The sportsman pilots each flew 2 rounds at a time (One takeoff and
landing), with lots of feedback (the entire group judged each flight) and
they had a very competitive well judged event.

The rest of us ALL flew the advanced pattern, with Handicaps.   FAI got ­1pt
per maneuver,  Masters ­1/2pt, Advanced flew it straight up, and
Intermediate pilots got +1pts.

It was not only a lot of fun (Everyone but the advanced guys were flying an
unknown for the most part) but it also was a VERY tight contest.  I don¹t
recall who won...didn¹t really matter.

No..it  didn¹t follow the advertised sanctioned contest, but it was great
fun, competitive, a very good learning/practicing event, and it made the
best from the turnout we had.

-Mark