[NSRCA-discussion] Judging by committee?

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Fri Feb 1 09:04:12 AKST 2008

I have to strongly agree with Del on this one.  Dropping scores in this
manner just isn¹t statistically valuable.  You almost always just throw out
an entire judge.

I think those that favor this approach do so because of the stray ³0² that
they¹ve received sometime in their pattern career, and see dropping highs
(no one REALLY wants to throw out their high scores) and lows as a way to
get rid of the Zero awarded by the local Snap Nazi.  It¹s just the wrong
approach.

Maybe with 30 judges it would have some relevance, but not with 5 or even
10.  AND...more often than not, I¹ve been MUCH more annoyed at the judge who
MISSED a zero, than one that maybe awarded one unjustifiably.

I¹d rather go the route of having a ³Zero² judge, who¹s sole job is to
determine that the correct maneuver was flown and that a Snap was a snap and
a spin a spin.  The other judges simply judge what was flown...   If a
maneuver was missed or out of sequence, the zero judge overrides those
scores.   Ok...there¹s issues with that too (missing a point on a point roll
for example would be an issue)...just thinking as I type.

Anyhow...dropping highs and lows isn¹t the solution. (IMHO)

-Mark