[NSRCA-discussion] Random tip on ATV and setup

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 17:44:14 AKST 2009

I've run into this over and over again with new flyers.   Using one
sided servo arms so you can't get the servo linkage centered because
the splines won't line up exacerbates the problem, so they use tons of
subtrim.  This is one reason I use wheels instead of arms.  Of course
using wheels generally isn't possible with giant scale airplanes.
I've also found that some servo brands have an even number of splines,
and turning the servo wheel 180 degrees doesn't help things line up.
My rule of thumb is if more than 10 points of subtrim is required or
more than 4 or 5 points of end point difference, I change things
mechanically until things are synchronized again.

Unfortunately, there isn't much out there on basic mechanical setup
that we can refer people too, especially sport flyers.  I gave a talk
on ATV and subtrim vs. mechanical setup at our club meeting a couple of
months ago, and had a lot of people thank me because they had never
been exposed to the information before.  I am giving another talk on
proper mechanical linkage set up and servo selection at our next
meeting.

I've also found out that people just don't understand why you choose a
standard size servo over a mini servo with equal torque in some
applications because of gear size.  Some minis, such as the DS3421,
have lots of torque, but the gears just aren't up to the job in some
applications.  We had a flye
r show up with a 90 sized Funtana, with a
huge 4 stroke on it with 3421s with metal gears on the ailerons.  His
attitude was that the 3421 torque was within specs, but we pointed out
that the gears were so tiny they'd never last, especially on the huge
ailerons on that airplane.  Sent him home to get different servos, and
he returned with 8411's, so it wasn't a problem of not having the
proper servos available.  He just didn't know.  BTW, I tried 3421's on
ailerons on a pattern airplane a few years ago, and stripped metal
gears on one servo in flight after lots of flights.  Landed ok, but
never again.  Inspecting the gears after the incident showed that the
vibration of the ailerons had worn the teeth to needle points.  There
wasn't a lot of slop in the remaining servo, but inspection of its
gears showed they were also close to failure.

This is one area where we can be ambassadors for the sport by helping
our local pilots out with proper setup.   If properly done, they do
appreciate it.

Jon Lowe