[NSRCA-discussion] thinning epoxy, how?

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Mar 16 07:34:56 AKDT 2009

Tom

Most epoxies need to be weighed, not dispensed volumetrically. Volume
changes with temperature and the chemicals used to absorb the mix ratio
errors associated with volume mixing do work...but kind of defeat what we
want as properties for our airplanes...such as max Tg and chemical
resistance. West Systems and Fiber Glast both have good laminating resins
by the quart, which in our world is a bunch, but stored in airtight
containers it will last for many years.

Buying these epoxies is like buying a pint of car paint to add that 4th
color accent to your plane's artistic design. Once you have it, you have
it for life.

I do not have any product numbers in mind as I buy the actual raw
materials for Aeroslave so I can formuate a resin system that meets our
plane manufacturing needs as opposed to being semi-fool proof for the
masses. But there are many good products available for our applications.
Me not being happy with them (from an AeroSlave perspective) as they are
purchased is another issue.

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radomes and Specialty Apertures
Technical Staff Composites Engineering
Raytheon

Tom Simes <simestd at netexpress.com>
Sent by: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
03/16/2009 09:55 AM
Please respond to
General pattern discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>

General pattern discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [NSRCA-discussion] thinning epoxy, how?

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:23:32 -0500
Gray E Fowler <gfowler at raytheon.com> wrote:

> SO!
>
> 1. Use a thin slower cure laminating resin

I always enjoy your informative posts on composites and adhesives Gray,
thanks for taking the time to educate!

With respect to laminating resin, Is there anything you'd recommend with
an easy mixing ratio (no pumps) that's sold in small quantities and has
a couple year shelf life?

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com