[NSRCA-discussion] Looking For Props & Header

Phil Spelt chuenkan at comcast.net
Fri Nov 6 14:54:30 AKST 2009

Bill,

Moki engines are designed and produced to run on
FAI fuel!  That explains your results with
various nitro percentages -- but you probably already knew that...

At 12:50 PM 11/6/2009, you wrote:
>O.K. Troy, I'll be seeing Jerry (and, probably,
>Margot<G>) sometime soon; I'll ask him.  I'm not
>a big fan of high nitro content fuels, from my
>Boat Drag racing days, (Motto:  Nitro destroys
>bank accounts) but I'll see what Jerry
>says.  When I was running my 1.8 and 2.1 Moki
>engines, I actually got more power and higher
>rpm's with FAI fuel than I did with any nirto
>blends.  In fact, I could rattle the engine with
>15%.  Of course, in one of my several
>conversations with Jim Garrard, (original
>importer of the engine) he said:  "The Moki is
>designed to run on 0% nitro.  Period."  (Very emphatic)
>Question:  Do they even make Heli fuel in 15% or
>20%?  I've never looked for it, and, just curious.
>Bill Glaze

however
>it doesn’t have the designation as 16.5-12
>narrow. It’s just called the 16.5-12. If you
>handed it to me with the name scratched off and
>said it was a 16.5-12 I would have said it was a
>Narrow.  Same goes for the 18-11 regular it’s a narrow essentially as well.
>
>I don’t know for sure why the “W” designation or
>the “N” for narrow is left off of some props and
>added to others. I think it has a lot to do with
>the equations and program that is used to create the prop profile.
>
>To sum up the props APC has the prop if it is or
>has been produced.  I don’t think Fred throws
>any of the molds away. So if a prop was produced
>at one time it might be possible with some
>convincing to get some of them produced again. I
>have been to the factory where the props are
>produced. It amazing how they are produced, and
>the quantity and quality of props produced for a given size.
>
>You may not be asking for it by the proper
>name/designation
.the 16.5-12 (is actually like
>a narrow) and the 18-11 is like a narrow version of the 18.1-11
>
>As for Headers
..the new header is in testing
>and is performing well. The jury is still out,
>we are working hard to insure the bugs are
>worked out. Right things are going well and real
>progress has been made in the last couple
>months. It will be sooner rather than later from
>the looks of things on the new headers.
>
>I hope this helps answer the questions
>

>Troy Newman

-->There are only two types of aircraft -- fighters and targets.

Phil Spelt, Webmaster & Past President, Knox County Radio Control Society, Inc.