[NSRCA-discussion] How I became an expert Snap Judge (TIC)

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Fri Oct 16 06:41:31 AKDT 2009

Ron, I agree completely with you and Jerry.  My point is we can get a
similar airframe response at similar asymmetrical lift on the left
side by using ailerons along with rudder and elevator.  Autorotation
refers to rolling induced by an unstable CL/alpha that occurs only on
the right side.  There, as alpha increases lift decreases so the wing
descends resulting in alpha increasing and so on.  On the rising wing,
alpha is decreasing so lift is increasing so the wing keeps rising.
The result is a spontaneous, continuous  roll.

This is untrue on the left side but we can and do induce rotation with
ailerons.  If we want to fix the rules we should probably get rid of
the autorotation/stall requirement and describe the desired flight
path, not how to achieve it.  Agree?

Make sense?

Jim